Once upon a time, the apron was a staple in kitchens across the country, probably because back in the day, people couldn’t wash clothing as easily, and because…pockets! I imagine back then, people needed to wear the same clothes several days in a row, so to make those last, it was smarter to protect them from the hazards of the house and farm.
While I know several people who wear them today, I’m willing to bet many people don’t wear an apron, but that should change! They’re the perfect item to quickly dress up a mediocre outfit (like when you have to answer the door unexpectedly!), but more importantly, when you’re cooking up a storm and want to keep your nice clothes from being flocked in flour! There are many reasons to wear one, and I hope you share yours, but in the meantime, let’s learn about these ones!
Made with both new and reclaimed fabric, each of these aprons is handmade, with special adornments and details added every step of the way. Some are absolutely one of a kind, meaning I only had one shirt I used to make it.
- All full aprons feature a double-sided bodice so it holds up well without sagging
- All have at least one pocket
- All feature neck and waist ties, so you can adjust the fit to your liking
- All are finished with a flouncy ruffle
- All give you a little protection from whatever task you’re undertaking